 Robotics / 9485
RE: Legosub Remote Controlled underwater robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:51:20 GMT

At 12:45 PM 12/29/1999 , Rob Libby wrote:
Is that sub real? How did they do that? I want to.

Rob

It looks like its real from all the pictures.  It uses the camera from the
Mars Explorer expansion kit (which I really want), and from all the pages
it looks like it works nice.  The only thing is these people appear to be
using it for some high tech research thing in Antartica, so it might be
hard to get ahold of some of the technology they use (or is it?).  The
video shots of it underwater look real too.

The only thing is they would have to completely seal their wires and the
dome they put the camera in, and the motors for the propulsion.  It looks
like the Divers casing is just a show item, or maybe even a necessary case
to protect the contents.  But it doesn't seal watertight, unless they glued
it together and sealed it that way.  Even then, that would be a shaky,
unreliable seal.

It appears they use an N64 controller to control the video camera.  Either
the propulsion is done via R/C or its fed through that wire that holds the
sub, but it appears that wire is no thicker than the wire to the camera.

Again, the URL's...

http://www.legomindstorms.com/members/loadRCX.asp?UserID=40089&SlotN=1
http://www.legomindstorms.com/members/loadRCX.asp?UserID=40089&SlotN=2
http://www.fishschool.com/legosub/
http://www.ecoscope.com/legosub.htm

-Tim

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

"I'm pretty sure it's your inability to hit the ball that makes you
  keep missing."
                    -- Some kid's little-league coach