 Robotics / 9474
Re: Universal Joints
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:21:27 GMT

"RE" == Richard Earley <richard.earley@worldnet.att.net> writes:

RE> While building the 8448, I was dissapointed to see universal
RE> joints used in the drive for the suspension system. My experiance
RE> with these in the past was not the best. The axel holder end will
RE> crack under stress. I am leery to motorize the model because of
RE> this.

Not something I have experienced. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of
experience with universal joints under high stress. It seems, though,
that 8448 was specifically designed with motorization in mind. Surely,
if TLC thought this was a problem, they would've done something about
this?

RE> This led me tho think up a different suspension method:

RE> Overhead View:
RE> "-|" denotes wheel
RE> "+" denotes axles
RE> "^>" denotes beveled gears
RE> "#" denotes suspension arms

RE> -----
RE> |   |
RE> |   |   >
RE> |   |+#+>++++#
RE> |   | # >    #
RE> |   | #  ^^^ #
RE> ----- #   +  #
RE>       #   +  #
RE>       #  ^^^ #
RE>       # >    #
RE>       #+>++++#++DIFERENTIAL

This is similar in a way to what is used in 8858 for the rear wheels,
only your version is independent. See
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8858-1995/8858-22.html

RE> This could possibly lead to a thinner model as well.

Fredrik Glöckner has done some experiments with narrower models with
fully independent suspension. See
http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/8880-suspension/ for
example.

RE> I thought the robotics community would like this idea.
RE> -Rich
RE> Note: you may need to view in raw mode.

Regards,

Johannes.
--
POLICE LINE<<<>>>DO NOT CROSS<<>>>POLICE LINE<<<>>>DO NOT CROSS<<>>>POLICE L
DO NOT CROSS<<>>>POLICE LINE<<<>>>DO NOT CROSS<<>>>POLICE LINE<<<>>>DO NOT C

Self-professed nerd of Mathematics and Computer Science.