 Robotics / 9473
9472  |  9474
Subject:
Universal Joints
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 15:54:01 GMT

While building the 8448, I was dissapointed to see universal joints used in the
drive for the suspension system. My experiance with these in the past was not
the best. The axel holder end will crack under stress. I am leery to motorize
the model because of this.

This led me tho think up a different suspension method:

Overhead View:
        "-|" denotes wheel
        "+" denotes axles
        "^>" denotes beveled gears
        "#" denotes suspension arms

-----
|   |
|   |   >
|   |+#+>++++#
|   | # >    #
      #   +  #
      #  ^^^ #
      # >    #
      #+>++++#++DIFERENTIAL

This could possibly lead to a thinner model as well.

I thought the robotics community would like this idea.

-Rich

Note: you may need to view in raw mode.