 Robotics / 9416
Re: Newbie's questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 15:37:20 GMT

Uwe Denzer <Uwe.Denzer@munich.netsurf.de> wrote:
1. Stalled motors
How big *really* is the danger to damage a motor by stalling? (Should I
really bother much to install those clutch gears?)

I personally used the clutch gears more to build timing tolerant mechanisms
than to protect motors from damages. I mean in those cases when you want
your motor to move something up to a point and then "slip", and you don't
want to use a sensor to monitor eg the end of the stroke. Of course pulleys
and belts may be used as well for this purpose, but they're  less efficient.
I know that the RCX has a built-in current limiter (1A?), but I'm not sure
of the technical details.

2. IR "range"
What is the reason one can set this IR transmitter to 2 different
ranges? Why not always set it to long range? What's the disadvantage of
short range?

If you have more than a single RCX the short range setting helps you not to
download the program on all of them if they're on.

3. Plastic type
What's the chemical composition of Lego parts?
(Already thinking about self-made sensors, I want to prepare the proper
glue...).

ABS, a polymer of polystyrene: Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene. Very easy to
cut, saw, drill and glue :-)

Have fun

Mario

Web page: http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari