 Robotics / 9313
Re: Barcode set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:46:14 GMT

"JC" == Joe Comeau <jcomea@ctp.com> writes:

JC> In lugnet.robotics, Jim West <Jim@jameswest.com> writes:
WOW!

This set ranks right up there with the space shuttle set.

The green parts are awesome!  Green motor mount plates.  Green
technic beams.  Green axles.  Green.  Very cool.

...and you get TWO clutch gears.  Awesome.

It will be fun adapting the RCX to these models.

JC> This is definitely one of my favorite sets. What's also cool is
JC> that you supposedly can get the Scout and the Code Pilot to
JC> communicate through VLL, but I haven't tried this yet. It would be
JC> fun to create a model that is powered by a network consisting of
JC> the RCX, Scout and Code Pilot.

Yes, the BarCode Truck is really cool. It is really quite ingenious,
technically speaking, and it is also a great model to play with,
driving it around, picking up tires, dumping them out again. Great
fun! However, the secondary models are not as great fun as the primary
one. Granted, this is always the case, but in this case I think it's
the limited flexibility of the code pilot showing through. It really
is quite hard to find something fun to do with one input and one
output. (Yes, there is the bar code reader + special gear thingie too,
but that doesn't do anything else but make motor sounds.)

As you said, lots of cool parts, but I think you felt it rightaway
that the code pilot was kinda limited.

Of course, if it really is possible to make the scout and the code
pilot work together, it may be a reason to dig it out again.

Regards,

Johannes, who is kinda disappointed with the codepilot, but not with
the set.
--
"I hunt, therefor I am" - Metallica

How do I connect to that real-life thing I keep hearing about?