 Robotics / 9273
RE: Spline editor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 20:07:58 GMT

Almost any language can handle this. You need access to floating point
variables and that is it. 2D splines are fairly basic geometrically
speaking. I'm not sure why you would want to do that though. Typically (I'm
a graphics programmer) we use spline paths to prevent abdrupt transitions
(say in keyframing) ie: we use splines to mimic the real world. since
leogo's are real the have to deal with inertia and the like so they wouldn't
need splines.
However i looked at your e-mail address and am thinking that you
probably have a good reason to wanna do this. (motion control fo SFX
perhaps; Did't you guys do the storm in the shark movie...). For motion
control especially if you need accurate enough control for comps etc... you
would probably want to use a 104PC and some stepper motors.
Are you working on an animatronic?
You could build a translator to your RCX though. you'd build an easy
interface in which could adjust a spline. (ie: an envelope; I believe you
guys use lightwave; lightwave motion files are plain ASCII; makes your job
easier). the translation of that to an RCX is not that hard. Make your
motion; set a keyframe for each frame (This will give you values for each
frame to tranlsate; that way you don't have to worry about doing spline
calculations onn the RCX; just a set motion) To keep fluid movement on the
RCX you might want to animate at 96 fps since this will give your 4 times as
many keyframe values for the RCX and smoother movement.)

BTW: you guys wouldn't happen to need any help with your rendering pipeline
do you...? For X-Mas I want your job! ;-)

Hajo