 Robotics / 9268
Re: IR Control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 18:29:36 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Charles Lundy writes:
Has anyone tried to build an infrared transmitter that is controlled by a
microcomputer (vs a PC) to send messages to a RCX?

  Heck, you can do that with the IR tower there already.  Well, if RCXCC
existed on a Mac you could use Applescript to run the interface, build
"Speakable items" to run the Applescript and be able to talk to the RCX.
Sadly, no one (but Dave with his MacRCX interface) ever does anything for the
Mindstorms on a Mac (excepting Robolab, which isn't that much.)  Sigh, if only
I had the time...

  I'm more interested in the other way around.  Since Kekoa and others
published the internals for the "message" system in IR format, I have been
looking at making an IR peripheral for the RCX that would run motors and
switches and sensors remotely.  Of course at 2400 baud (more or less) your
sensor feedback will be a little delayed, but it should be handy for things
like a temperature sensor or compass.  And, OH boy, how about running a bank of
relays or pneumatic controls there?  As usual, the possibilities are nearly
endless!

Oh for the time!
DLC