 Robotics / 9239
Re: Mindstorms Wishlist
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 15:25:21 GMT

--- "G. Crisp" <gcrisp@mindspring.com> wrote:
Mmmmm.... Crickets....  I too would like to see
those go GPA.  Perhaps powered
by those little 12V camera batteries?  And make them
cheap!  I'm visualizing
robotic army ants with coordinated group behavior.
Perhaps using one of the
flocking algorithms?

- Greg

Matthew Miller wrote:

1. RCX Pro

   Like the current yellow RCX brick, but with • more inputs and outputs.
   Basically the same size, but could be a tiny • bit bigger to fit more
   connectors. Is _square_ on the bottom, and of • course has an AC adaptor.

   Perhaps has both radio and IR link?

   Comes with firmware basically compatible with • the current RCX, but with
   more slightly functionality. (Access to RAM, • for example. Also, ability
   to display arbitrary strings on LCD.) Also, • comes with NQC and LegOS on
   the CDROM.

2. MiniRCX

   Like the crickets at MIT. Uses a square 9V • battery and is only slightly
   larger than one. Same firmware as suggested • above. Two inputs, two
   outputs, and IR. Alternately could use radio
link.

Relay bricks. That way you can run a Lego train
without having to suck power from the RCX.

3. Proximity sensor

   I know it can be done with the IR, and via • various other clever hacks,
   but it'd be nice to have one in a nice package.

Might be a bit pricey, but it's definitely a good
idea.

4. Compass sensor

   Returns what direction it's pointing, of • course. I know this can be done
   relatively cheaply because one is available for • the Palm Pilot for under
   $40.

5. Mercury switch sensor

   "Help! I've been tipped on my back!"

6. Touch-sensor multiplexor

   Plug up to 8 on/off sensors into one RCX input.

Maybe, but maybe also a breakout box for sensor
inputs?

7. Pneumatic Pressure sensor

   Great for people doing pneumatics projects, of • course.

8. Touch pressure sensor

   "How hard am I gripping this thing? Am I about • to crush this minifig to
    death?"

And this should replace the basic touch sensor, not
merely supplement it.

How about a build-your-own sensor kit? You'd get the
basic mounting block, prewired, and you'd add your own
sensor.

/Brian

=====