 Robotics / 9233
RE: Is a CDROM really necessary for mindstorms?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:29:02 GMT

Dear Alan,
I don't know if you can run the software without a CDROM reader but I know
that I can't even get the Mindstorms software to run my laptop even with a
CDROM reader. I think the problem is the lack of video memory. .[Comments?]
Your old Toshiba probably does not pass the minimum hurdles for the
software. This is not a problem, however, since NQC will run on almost
anything, You can run NQC (with RCXX) but first you will need to get the
firmware off of the CDROM. RCXX runs just fine on my laptop.
Best,
Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Burlison [mailto:Alan.Burlison@uk.sun.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 1999 11:06 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Is a CDROM really necessary for mindstorms?

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a Mindstorms set (I understand 1.0
is better
than the 1.5 version), and I have an old Toshiba laptop that
I can
dedicate purely to Mindstorms use. Unfortunately it doesn't
have a
CDROM.  If I transfer the contents of the CDROM to disk will
I be able
to run it from there rather than the CDROM?  Do you need the
CDROM in
the drive whenever you are using Mindstorms, or just during
install?  I
could always network the laptop up just to get the software
installed.

Thanks,

Alan Burlison
--