 Robotics / 9223
RE: Tasks in RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 22:10:55 GMT

Alex wrote:

From some searching it appears that OCCAM-2 is a programming language
for parallel systems, so having a lot of threads probably is
desirable.  It also seems to me that implementing an existing
language on the RCX would generally involve new firmware anyway,
because the RCX firmware has so many limitations.  NQC does very
nicely using the standard firmware, but is missing basic programming
concepts such as arrays (a firmware limitation).

I guess we have enough new users here that I can start flogging
pbForth again.....and I just released a new version that lets you
build a kernel on the RCX itself!! That's right, the RCX is the
compiler so it works with Macs, PCs, Linux, Sun, even a PalmPilot
as soon as someone gets a firmware uploader going...:-)

If you need arrays, multitasking , LOTS of variables and fairly
advanced expression evaluation ,and you want to be able to debug
and test your system using human readable data streams, then
pbForth is for you. OK, you have to learn Forth, but there are lots
of folks here willing to help. Well, I am anyways. Follow the
sigline....

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>