 Robotics / 9219
  Tasks in RCX

Hi, I read somewhere that the RCX is limited to only 10 concurrent tasks. Is this limitation in the firmware? If so, can I use a replacement firmware like legOS to overcome this. I basically want to have an unlimited number of tasks so that I can (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Tasks in RCX

(...) <chuckle> 10 seems like a small number (yes its limited by the firmware) until you try to use them all. In my experience only email and webserver type applications kick off more than 4 or 5 threads at once. DLC (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Tasks in RCX

(...) From some searching it appears that OCCAM-2 is a programming language for parallel systems, so having a lot of threads probably is desirable. It also seems to me that implementing an existing language on the RCX would generally involve new (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Tasks in RCX

(...) I guess we have enough new users here that I can start flogging pbForth again.....and I just released a new version that lets you build a kernel on the RCX itself!! That's right, the RCX is the compiler so it works with Macs, PCs, Linux, Sun, (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Tasks in RCX

(...) Sure why not. The transputer parallel CPU was specifically designed to run OCCAM and it only had 4K of internal RAM compared to the 32K. However, it has direct machine-level support for the OCCAM constructs. I was actually planning on using (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Tasks in RCX

(...) That highly depends on the programming environment, and the skills and preferences of the programmer. Thread creation and management is very easy in Java, and therefore, Java programmers tend to use threads more liberally for example. Dozens (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Tasks in RCX

Not sure about the newer VM's, but the early Java systems got bogged down pretty quickly when you started to fire up lots of concurrent threads, particularly if you were doing 'real-time' type tasks such as animation or network access. This sort of (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)