 Robotics / 9218
Re: Installation error on New RIS 1.5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 19:32:05 GMT

At 23:11 18/12/99 +0000, you wrote:
Anybody else seen something like this??

I had previously installed the 1.0 CD on my typical
WIN95 system:  200Mhz IBM/Cyrix (Pentiumish) CPU,
64 Meg Memory, etc etc, and an ATI Ultra Pro PCI
graphics adapter.  Yesterday I got a 1.5 MindStorms
and installed the 1.5 CD on the same machine. The
Installer recognized the 1.0 install and asked if I
wanted to 'update' it. (It saved my original users,
setup etc).

Near the end of the install I got the following errors:

1:  Pop-up error box "SURegCreateKey Failed"
  (clicked OK : what else??)
  (Install completed, asked "Restart your system??")
  (clicked Yes)
  -- Reboot, restart, AND:
2: System came up in low-resolution mode, said
  "New hardware detected: ATI Graphics adapter" "Installing
  your new hardware".
   (No choice, so continued, restarted system again)
3: System came up in Low-Resolution mode.  Tried to reset to
   1024by768: got "Your graphics adapter is disabled"!
4. Looked in Control Panel / System / Device Manager. Big red
   X and "Display adapter disabled".

So, I "Removed" the Display Adapter in Device Manager, restarted AGain,
and, !YAY! my Graphics Card was detected, installed, restart and it
was back in normal HIGH_Resolution mode!  Which was REAL good (because
I had a customer coming in a hour to finish up the images for his Music
CD album artwork!!)

-- 1.5 seems to work OK, downloaded Firmware, programs, etc. for quick
   checkout..

SO: 1. Anybody seen anything like this??
    2. WHERE is the best place to report a problem such as this??

This would have been a major strike-out bummer if I hadn't already had
an indecently personal relationship with WIN95.  Many customers might
be quite unhappy if this happened to them...

Any suggestions / pointers appreciated..

--
Regards,
Terry King   ...In The Woods In Vermont

I had the same error trying to reinstall drivers of an ISDN card. You're
lucky, since the only way I found to fix this problem was reinstalling W98,
and  to reinstall my ISDN card first (plug and play...). I checked on
Microsoft knowledge base with "SURegCreateKey Failed" and had 0 results.
Regards,

Rene Cassou de Saint Mathurin
54 rue Jourdan
17000 La Rochelle