 Robotics / 9191
Re: Installation error on New RIS 1.5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 23:23:00 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Terry King writes:
Anybody else seen something like this??

I had previously installed the 1.0 CD on my typical
WIN95 system:  200Mhz IBM/Cyrix (Pentiumish) CPU,
64 Meg Memory, etc etc, and an ATI Ultra Pro PCI
graphics adapter.  Yesterday I got a 1.5 MindStorms
and installed the 1.5 CD on the same machine. The
Installer recognized the 1.0 install and asked if I
wanted to 'update' it. (It saved my original users,
setup etc).

Near the end of the install I got the following errors:

1:  Pop-up error box "SURegCreateKey Failed"
(clicked OK : what else??)
(Install completed, asked "Restart your system??")
(clicked Yes)
-- Reboot, restart, AND:
2: System came up in low-resolution mode, said
"New hardware detected: ATI Graphics adapter" "Installing
your new hardware".
  (No choice, so continued, restarted system again)
3: System came up in Low-Resolution mode.  Tried to reset to
  1024by768: got "Your graphics adapter is disabled"!
4. Looked in Control Panel / System / Device Manager. Big red
  X and "Display adapter disabled".

So, I "Removed" the Display Adapter in Device Manager, restarted AGain,
and, !YAY! my Graphics Card was detected, installed, restart and it
was back in normal HIGH_Resolution mode!  Which was REAL good (because
I had a customer coming in a hour to finish up the images for his Music
CD album artwork!!)
The big defference in 'code' terms between RCX1, and 1.5, is that the latter
requires DirectX 6.1, and installs it if you haven't allready got this. I have
seen a couple of allmost identical faults, when upgradeing machines to DX6.1,
so I suspect this is what caused the problem, rather than part of the
Mindstorms software itself. The machines I saw this on, also had ATI video
cards, so it may be a driver problem with these.

-- 1.5 seems to work OK, downloaded Firmware, programs, etc. for quick
  checkout..

SO: 1. Anybody seen anything like this??
   2. WHERE is the best place to report a problem such as this??
Difficult. I suspect it is one of the MS parts, rather than the Mindstorms
code, but all the same, it would be nice to be sure. Without at least one
other person who has seen the identical fault, with the same software, really
there will not be enough data to be useful to anybody. How about posting a
'general' question, and seeing if anybody else has experienced this?.

This would have been a major strike-out bummer if I hadn't already had
an indecently personal relationship with WIN95.  Many customers might
be quite unhappy if this happened to them...
It happens...
Often with MS products...

Best Wishes