 Robotics / 9077
RE: Useful sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:32:18 GMT

I bought one of the big green ugly things. It does have the throwbot
parts!

It also has two sets of rack steering, a black turntable and a couple of
the

larger bevel gears. Plus a good amount of other useful technic stuff.

And if anyone still thinks discussion of set contents is off subject
for

this robotics area, they're wrong. I buy sets for the
<underline>sole</underline> purpose of

using the parts to augment RIS. So knowing what parts are out there is

very important to me.

For example, the throwbots things have some very handy spherical
joints,

which can actually be made a lot more useful by carefully cutting them

away from the fake legs/arms they are joined to. You end up with a
sphere

on a short 1/2 inch piece of cross axle. When combined with more common

axle joiners of various kinds, complex variable geometry structures can

be easily built. And the throwbot kits are only $5 - $6 apiece even if
you

have to discard the plastic box that comes with it. You're still left

with worm housings with a quadrant gear which can mesh with another of

the same kind to make a very robust shoulder/arm joint! I bought a

couple of pairs of these sets. (They're the ones called Slizers)

JB

Tilman wrote:

Has anyone bought set 8446? It is a "Forestry Machine" with six
wheels

(seems to be stearable in pairs) and with a huge gripper arm. Seems
useful

for robotics - I will perhaps buy one for Christmas....

Other than the turntable and a rack-and-pinion steering mechanism, you
don't get

much. There are a few pneumatics parts, but no air tank. The gripper
arm uses

penumatics, and that's very difficult to adapt to the RCX.

I think you think that they think it's an 8443 Log Loader.

It's really the big ugly green thing with the silver coloured

baloon tire hubs in the Christmas Catalog.  This looks like

a neat model for gears and wheels, but the gripper looks like

a sort of toggle clamp mechanism that if you look closely, actually

uses Throwbot parts! The pilot seat backs use Throwbot parts too!

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>

Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com