 Robotics / 8959
8958  |  8960
Subject:
Compass Sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 23:41:46 GMT

Has anyone actually successfully made and operated a compass sensor?

I took a hiking compass and measured about 5 degrees deviation within about
four inches of the RCX. On, off, didn't matter too much. But within a couple
of inches of two motors, mounted at the non-IR end of the RCX, I got anything
up to about 180 degrees.

I think a successful compass sensor will have to be mounted on a boom, like
satellites do, to avoid local magnetic fields. Remember, the fields decrease
in strength as the inverse square of the distance between source and sensor.

Good luck!   Dave Paule