 Robotics / 8897
Re: Rack and Pinion Steering and idea for precise angle of rotation detection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 22:54:16 GMT

Thanks. The design does require a fairly large robot platform, but it's not
huge. I think this could be made slightly smaller, but not too much. The
size I worked with was ideal for attaching the steering assembly to the RCX,
etc., as well as providing enough room for the range-of-motion required.

My target size was the width of the RCX itself, as this portion is attached
to the holes on the sides of the RCX.

Note that, due to the standard axle lengths of Lego parts, this assembly is
overall one stud wider than my goal--and is an odd number of studs across
(and therefore not symmetrical in respect to the RCX). When I was 4, things
_had to be_ symmetrical. (My son Isaac is the same way, which provides some
insight into nature vs.. nurture--a subject which, as an adoptee, I find
particularly interesting.) Somewhere along the line I grew out of that.

And now, back to my work ...

--Doug Wilcox