 Robotics / 8734
RE: External Power Port Problem..?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 00:29:05 GMT

Be very careful.  I think they removed not only the plug but the rectifier
circuit so do not use the Lego supply connected to the battery terminals.
They may have protection against inserting the batteries backwards but then
you would be connecting and disconnecting power at 60Hz.  You might have
less of a problem with overcurrent via the battery terminals because most
likely the parts downstream will only draw as much power as they can handle
(if they are going to be reliable anyway).  As mentioned before, running DC
on the adapter plug used only half the diodes so the question is did the
parts that Lego picked have substantially more than 2x margin?  One could
argue that a good design won't fail this way but they may not have thought
to redouble their margins because the DC option.

JT

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Perret [mailto:jperret@cybercable.fr]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 5:17 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: RE: External Power Port Problem..?

[snip]

This is interesting.
I own a 1.5 RCX (still wondering why it's marked 'RCX 1.0'
when obviously
there are two different versions, with and without the AC
plug) and I've been
contemplating retrofitting an AC plug with a couple of wires
inserted in
the battery compartment. This thread makes me wonder if I
should include some
kind of current-limiting circuitry to prevent the RCX from blowing up
(suggestions are welcome as to how to do this, since I don't have the
slightest idea).

Has anybody tried that with a 1.5 RCX ? Suggestions ?

Cheers,
--Jonathan