 Robotics / 870
    RE: legOS —Eric Hodges
   Firmware is software. It doesn't matter if you burn software into ROM, store it on EPROM, store it as PAL settings, core memory values, etc. Software is software, and firmware is software. (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: legOS —Kekoa Proudfoot
     (...) Is this your opinion? Or do you have something to back this with? -Kekoa (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: legOS —Brett Carver
      (...) I'll jump in here and take a shot. One definition of software vs firmware is that firmware talks directly to the hardware (setting bits in registers etc) while software doesn't. This is related to another possible definition that firmware is, (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: legOS —Jim West
     (...) I'd have to disagree on this point. I write in assembler which manipulates register bits directly and is considered software. Firmware is simply software that does NOT reside on magnetic media. (...) Jim West NIC Team Lead MCI Worldcom (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

         Definition of firmare [was: legOS] —stephen p spackman
     Ok, my turn!!!! Hardware is the thing you can't change without a soldering iron or other tools. Software is what you think it is. Firmware is those things that are *both*: it's written like software, but you need to perform hardware-style actions to (...) (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Definition of firmare [was: legOS] —Russell Nelson
     stephen p spackman writes: > Hardware is the thing you can't change without a soldering iron or other > tools. > > Software is what you think it is. This thread has wandered too far afield. Take this discussion off the list please. (26 years ago, 1-Dec-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: legOS —Steve Bryan
     (...) I don't think there is any question of whether this is true or false. Only a question of whose lawyers and lobbyists have prevailed. In a similar vein have you noticed that a game title for PlayStation is available for rent from BlockBuster (...) (26 years ago, 30-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: legOS —Eric Brok