 Robotics / 876
Re: legOS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 19:39:42 GMT

Eric Hodges <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
Firmware is software.  It doesn't matter if you burn software into ROM,
store it on EPROM, store it as PAL settings, core memory values, etc.
Software is software, and firmware is software.

Is this your opinion?  Or do you have something to back this with?

-Kekoa

I don't think there is any question of whether this is true or false. Only
a question of whose lawyers and lobbyists have prevailed. In a similar vein
have you noticed that a game title for PlayStation is available for rent
from BlockBuster but the same title ported to (or from) the PC is not? That
is because one activity is legal and the other is not (without the consent
of the publisher which is not required for 'console' titles). Is there any
realistic difference? I don't see how there could be. So I would agree
that, logically, firmware is software but acknowledge that a (spurious)
legal distinction could be made.

Steve Bryan
Vendorsystems International
email: sbryan@vendorsystems.com
icq: 5263678
pgp fingerprint: D758 183C 8B79 B28E 6D4C  2653 E476 82E6 DA7C 9AC5