 Robotics / 8657
RE: Laser Module for Mindstorms is Here!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:08:14 GMT

I don't know what the frequency response for a cat eye looks like but most
of these laser pointers will fry a human eye if directed into it without us
realizing it.  The main problem is that the frequency of the pointer is on
the fringe of what we can see.  The equivalent power at a more visible
frequency would look *extremely bright* even on a wall.  I don't have the
curves here in front of me but it is something like a 4x or 8x effect.  I
would recommend against it.

JT

-----Original Message-----
From: Reimer Mellin [mailto:davmel@primenet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 9:46 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: Laser Module for Mindstorms is Here!

Here is an application idea:

    Cat toy

My cats love to hunt the point like light spot. You can
programm the RXC to
entertain the cats while being away ..

comments?

__Reimer

Brett Carver <brett_carver@agilent.com> wrote in message
Josh Yeager wrote:

In an earlier post, I talked about a laser attachment for

Mindstorms that I was planning on making.

I see several types of questions about these lasers, so I thought

I'd jump in with a few comments of my own...

Josh put out an announcement about these a while back and • got several

pre-orders (mine included).  He made a bunch and shipped me an early

one so I could do some basic testing for him.  He's got some made

(and can probably make more) so this is his second call for orders.

They're build inside two 2 2x6 bricks with a 2x6 plate on • the bottom.

His assembly techniques are pretty good, and while they don't look

machine built, they're pretty clean.

The unit I had would trigger with an RCX motor setting of 2-8 at

various levels of brightness.  Level 1 wasn't enough to • fire the laser.

Alighment of the laser to the lego is fair (mine was down and to the

left some), but it's workable.

They're aren't any clear applications.  It's like most • things, you can

use it for whatever you can create.  Since lasers are so • focused (isn't

that the point?) I'm not sure how well they'll work for targeting or

ranging, but they sure look COOL mounted on a robot moving around a

room at night.

They're a fun addition to your tool-set even if you don't fine a

"real" use for them.  At least, I like mine.

--

                                               Brett Carver

brett_carver@agilent.com

                                               (707) 577-4344