 Robotics / 8572
Re: Lead warning for people who solder (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:57:14 GMT

----- Forwarded message from Robert Eddings -----

From: Robert Eddings <webmake@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Lead warning for people who solder
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:09:36 GMT

[1] Make sure that you are in a well ventilated area when using glues
and epoxies. "Super Glue" vapors will attach to eyes and other mucus
membranes.

[ Wear eye protection and rubber gloves when handling epoxies and mix and use
  them in a well ventilated space *away* from *any* open flames and that means
  smoking also. I use a variety of epoxies to make experimental spun-mirror
  telescope primaries and have seen some pretty interesting happenings. ]

[2] If cutting or shaping plastic, like with a Dremmel tool, always were
eye protection. About a year ago, I was hollowing out a plastic brick
with a Dremmel tool and a piece flew up and cut my face about one cm
from my eye. I became a believer in eye protection.

[ Pay attention to this one in spades folks. I am nearly blind in my L. eye
  since the age of 12 (I'm 39 now) because I didn't wear eye protection while
  using a brace and bit (i.e. and old style hand powered drill. It cost
  my site, 60 stitches across the cornea of the eye, 3 operations, 6 weeks
  with both eyes patched, and variety of ancillary vision problems like
  persistent double vision. You will pay for your mistakes. ]

----- End of forwarded message from Robert Eddings -----

           The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full
           of passionate intensity.

                                               W.B. Yeats

       The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
       www.ssz.com            .',  ||||    `/( e\      512-451-7087