 Robotics / 8503
Re: Radio shack basic electronics book
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:18:59 GMT

--- Jonathan Perret <jperret@cybercable.fr> wrote:
Are you sure there's much paperwork to do ? It's
funny to see that most
smallish companies will ship internationally • whereas
big fishes like
Radio Shack don't give a damn about foreign
customers.

France is a little odd anyway -- things like the • ban
on cryptotech and that sort of thing -- and if my
reading of history is correct they've always been • sort
of on the fringe of organizations like NATO.

Um, odd ? That's OK, we think you're WEIRD. ;-)
(FYI, France is no longer on the fringe of NATO, and

This I knew.

the
crypto ban has practically been lifted)

This I was a bit out of the loop about.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the issue of RS
not
shipping *anywhere* outside North America...

True. And I still agree that's not a good thing.

I don't know what it is about a company like that.
Tandy was on the bleeding edge of the personal
computer revolution at one time, you know. The Trash80
model I was one of the first really successful home
computers (only knocked out of the running because of
RF interference problems), and even when the TRS-80
line as a whole went away Tandy was still a credible
competitor for IBM in the standards market.

RadioShack as bleeding edge? Not anymore, I'm afraid.

Today, the Shack's computer department is run by
Compaq, about a quarter of their products are branded
by the same companies we always knew made them all
along anyway, and the RadioShack in the Burlington
Mall about ten-fifteen miles from where I live outside
Boston was cut in half to accomodate a flower shop.
The current Y2K catalog is about a third of an inch
thick and hits the table with a satisfying thump, but
there's less substance in there than ever. I've been
wondering lately, just for antiquarian interest, what
it might take to build myself an Altair 8800 clone
(inspired by Charles Petzold's excellent (despite
being from Microsoft) book Code). I'll tell you one
thing: RadioShack ain't up to it. They don't have the
chips, or the PC boards, or suitable cases (switches,
however, would not be a problem).

Believe me, if you want to build a shortwave radio or
a semi-smart shower controller, RadioShack might be
able to do it. You want anything major though...
you're not missing much.

/Brian

=====