 Robotics / 8480
Re: lack of interest in basic stamp and basicx
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:50:15 GMT

But I have yet to find a book that will explain to me the basics
of electronics (past Ohm's Law I mean). Does any of the
circuit-heads round here have a book (or a website) to recommend
for those like me who are willing to understand how to build
simple circuits ?

Go to Radio Shack and get "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims.
Its easy, accurate, and quickly usable knowledge.  The book is 8.5"x11" and
about .25" think with a green cover.  After that look at any of his topical
books (sensors, ICs, etc.), these are smaller sized (8"x5") with white covers.

Aaargh !
I hate it when I read 'just go to Radio Shack'. For me it would involve
several thousand kilometers.
Here in France electronics/parts shops are hard to come by, and there is
definitely not a single brand that is as ubiquitous as Radio Shack seems
to be over the pond. We do have a lot of consumer electronics shops, but
none has ever heard of a 10k resistor.

So, how can I get hold of this book - without waiting for my next trip
to the Land of Plenty ?
I have found the book on amazon.com - but they say it's out of print.

Ideas, anyone ?

Cheers,
--Jonathan