 Robotics / 8436
Re: Wireless Robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:22:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Pete Sevcik) writes:
Matt,

I have built a lego robot controlled by a PC, using an IR link to communicate
commands.  It used the same IR technology as Mindstorms, but had an
omni-directional IR link on the robot.  The problem is link speed.  For • reliable
communication, you need an error recovery protocol on the link.  I designed a
lightweight protocol, which worked well but added about 5 bytes of packet
overhead.  At 1200 baud, it takes too long to get data to the PC, and get the
response back to the robot.  e.g  the sensor detects a wall, but by the time • you
get that info to the PC, and get back a command to turn, you have already hit
the wall.  IRDA technology is faster, but the distance is limited to 3 feet.
Radio links would be fine, but the low cost links are limited to about 1200
baud.

I was trying to do all the processing in the PC.

Would you consider making the RIS perform the check or just sending a verbatim
copy of what it gets to the sender (two way radio) and making the PC check that
the information was sent OK. I know that a bad packet from the RIS does then
not mean that the packet the RIS received from the PC was faulty.
But consider that a faulty packet repeated from the RIS, would triger the PC to
send a resend CMD (of some sort) thereby indicating that the following CMD is a
resend, in case the former was faulty. The case as is would be the RIS
spends time checking 100% of all packets received for error. While the PC would
be idling in a loop for most of the time. Whereas you could argue that having
the PC spend its computing power on a trivial task, and the RIS just forwarding
verbatim withthe PC listening for errors, using the method outlined above would
perhaps be a timesaver - if the RIS can output verbatim faster than it would
perform errorcheck.

The technique might work if >you found a way to split the work.
Do tasks that require a quick reaction time
within the robot.  Send the slower, more difficult tasks, back to the PC.  If
you use a video camera, send the video data as analog, directly to the PC.

Would it be posible to [gently] strip the radio link from a Cybermaster kit and
reuse them with the RIS?
My concern would be to semi quickly assemble the original Cybermaster again.
Should I need it.
I have no idea wether the radio stuff is integrated on the Cybermaster PCB, in
which case this is pretty much hitting a brick wall - pardon the pun.
Otherwise a performance identical setup would be possible to design (if someone
knows how) and implementable (for the few who have access to an electronics
wizard).

-breiler