 Robotics / 8401
Re: Move the processing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 02:53:17 GMT

Christian Jacobsen wrote in message
<004701bf32a9$f6bce6a0$1000000a@xtian>...
OK, another newbie question before I get my MindStorms this weekend. • (Thanks
for the tip, Janos!)

There is a lot of talk on this list about what can and can not be done in
the RCX... memory stacks, neural nets, and what have you...

There has also been talk about legOS and other approaches to completely
removing the LEGO firmware(?) and replacing it with another.

My question is: Is it possible to create a communications link between a
desktop PC (which is better at computing than the RCX) and the RCX (which • is
more mobile than the PC) so that the "heavy" software runs on the PC, and
sends just the resulting commands to the RCX?

Yes, you can do that. The time it takes to get a message from your PC to the
RCX is about a second. A little too long to avoid collisions etc, but fine
for high-level decisions.

Is the speed of the connection fast enough to do this, realistically?  (I
don't want any 2 minute delay between input and action like the Mars
Rover...) • Actually the delay with the mars rover was about 30 minutes (!).

Can the RCX firmware just be a simple mechanism that receives commands,
executes, and responds? • Yes, get RCXcc, you can control the RCX by joystick.

I'm just trying to think "outside the (RCX) box"...
- Christian

Have fun,

Arjen