 Robotics / 8318
  Gear backlash

Does anybody have methods for reducing gear backlash? (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear backlash

David Paule writes: > Does anybody have methods for reducing gear backlash? Ugh. The standard way to do this is with high-precision gears, and/or special split gears with a spring. I don't think there's much to do about it with Lego parts. (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear backlash

=>David Paule writes: => > Does anybody have methods for reducing gear backlash? How about "reduce the gear train length?" (Not what you're looking for, I'll bet :-) d. (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear backlash

Take a look at Bob Fay's pages. He has done some amazing stuff on his milling machines. (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear backlash

What are we supposed to look at? Which of the many photographs on Bob's pages has to do with reducing gear backlash? I don't want to search them all. (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear backlash

Well, the standard way on worm drives is to load the end of the worm with a spring, so there is always contact on one "side" of the worm. Similar things can be done for spur gears, but they all involve loading the meshed teeth in one direction with (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear backlash

Maybe this sounds strange: I tried to coat gears with liquid plaster. This works for some time - only with "less engaged" gear-trains and never try to coat both gears, because this ends up in a mess. The new liquid plasters aren't that sticky (...) (25 years ago, 18-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Gear backlash

Hi. Russell is right. I did alot of this in my former life as a mechanical engineer, but it's not as difficult to do in LEGO(R) as one might think. Basically, one has to set up two parallel gear trains and then 'preload' them against each other by (...) (25 years ago, 21-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)