 Robotics / 8285
Re: Pure Energy & the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 18:45:32 GMT

But here is the real question: Why didn't LEGO make the batteries separate
from the RCX?  Changing batts in a built-up creation is a nightmare.  We
should be able to have a battery pack and just swap it.  Then we could • make
a 7-cell NiCd pack to replace the 6 (8.4v vs 9.0) in the RCX, and we could
have several.  I am actually surprised that more people don't discuss • this,
and LEGO doesn't recognize the flexibility such modularity would have.  Of
course, they would need to have some kind of female connector.

What I'm surprised about is that in this discussion, no one has mentioned
yet the possibility of rigging up your own power arrangements for the RCX.

I mean, (I haven't tried this yet but I intend to as soon as I get a
chance)
you can just make your own AC input on the RCX (if you're unfortunate
enough to have an AC-input deprived RCX like me) with two wires. From
that you can use whatever power source suits you, including for example
an external NiCd pack that you can attach wherever you want on your 'bot.

The ideal solution for me would be to find a battery pack small enough that
it could fit into the RCX's battery compartment, and add a current input
to the RCX rigged so that the batteries can be recharged in-place, like
in any cellphone. For simplicity, if there is room left in the compartment
one could put the current generator inside it so that any sufficiently
powerful AC adapter could be used to recharge the RCX.

Has anybody ever thought about/implemented such a thing ?

Cheers,
--Jonathan