 Robotics / 8279
Re: Rack and Pinion Steering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 16:22:59 GMT

I played with the idea of a synchro drive last night, and still couldn't
figure out a way to make it work without those wonderful turntables (which
PITSCO-Dacta has a monopoly on in the U.S.--the Construction Site can't sell
them).

BUT ... I finally made a breakthrough on my many-dead-ends rack-and-pinion
steering system. (Although with these modifications it isn't truly
rack-and-pinion, as it now has neither.)

The system uses a piston action to convert rotary motion to linear motion.
The piston attachment is lopsided (off to one side of the model), and the
"piston" moves almost parallel to the moving bar on the steering rig. I can
use a belt drive and stops to limit the left-right motion, and a cam will
trigger a touch sensor to identify the center position! I hope to finish
integrating it into a 'bot tonight, and will try to throw it on the scanner
tomorrow. (Anyone have an obsolete digital camera for sale?)

Hope this is useful. :)

--Doug Wilcox

WordSmith Digital Document Services
403 VFW Drive
Rockland, MA 02370

781-871-6162
fax 781-871-6264
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com
ICQ# 24868783

- Web design (including e-commerce)
- Searchable Digital Documents on CD
- Desktop Publishing - Design - Scanning
- Computer/Software Consulting (Technical Wizardry)
- Computer Demons Exorcised
- Officially Registered in Dogbert's New Ruling Class