 Robotics / 8251
Re: Line Followers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:27:09 GMT

Luis Villa wrote:

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Paul Speed wrote:
      After various discussions here about maze walkers and synchro
'bots, I decided to try my hand at YASB (yet another synchro 'bot).
Furthermore, I decided that instead inverting the problem as Ralph
did, that I would turn it inside out by having a solid black line that
traces the path of the maze instead of having walls.

That is the method I've usually assumed would be best.

      This means that I will need an efficient way of tracking the
line and detecting junctions.  Initially I will leave the maze
"square", but I hope to be able to generalize in the future.

      My idea is to simulate having multiple light sensors by
using one light sensor to sample in several places.  Imagine a light
sensor moving around in a circle sampling discrete points along this
circle.  Standard methods have been discussed for various forms of
rotation sensors but I think a "touch sensor pressed by a gear"
type has some elegance when considering that the touch sensor could
probably be stacked on the same port with the light sensor.

Wow. This sounds like a mechanical mess, but an elegant solution (in a
broader sense) to the depth/breadth issue I was talking about last night.
Good luck.

        re: Mechanical mess - agreed. :)  Hopefully, and elegant
solution will present itself there too.

My two cents:
1) maybe a half or 3/4 circle would be all that is needed? No
twisting problems then.

        True, but I sort of like the idea behind having a sort of
blip at four compass points.  It makes maze navigation a simple
problem and then I can focus on maze traversal.

2) When you rotate the bot, any idea on how you will realign the
sensor to the bot's new direction?

        That was the idea behind the synchro platform.  The bot will
always be "facing" the same way which is one of the things that
necessitates a full circle sampling.  Initially I will focus on
movement restricted to 90 degrees.  Eventually it would be nice to
develop a more general solution that can handle more than four
directions.

        -Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com, http://www.progeeks.com/)

Just some thoughts-
Luis

      I will leave solutions to the problem of keeping the light
sensor cable from getting twisted as an exercize for the reader.
(heh)  At least until I've built a working example.  Speculation is
always so much easier than proving that it will work. :)

      -Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com, http://www.progeeks.com/)

Luis Villa wrote:

With just one light sensor, the problem is that you have to guess
which direction you just fell off the line. i.e., your sensor
suddently goes from dark to light. Is the dark to your left? Your
right? There's no real way of telling, is there?

If you guess well, you can follow the line well. If you don't guess
well, you are in trouble. Frankly, I have no strategies for
guessing well. However, "go x left, 2x right, 3x left, 4x right" is
not unreasonable, and I believe some variation on that (perhaps x
left, 2x right, 4x left, 8x right, but I'm not sure) is
mathematically provable to be the best solution for this type of
problem. Note: these are not actually go left, but spin left, spint
right, etc. with the assumption that you have stopped when you "lost"
the line.

With two light sensors, this suddenly becomes much easier, and with
three, you can build a great light sensor. However, forks still
aren't dealt with well- you need depth as well as breadth to be able
to analyze those robustly and on the fly (in my opinion). Anyone
have any thoughts on that one?
-Luis