 Robotics / 7928
Re: Problem setting up nqc/ RcxXX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 07:08:05 GMT

The error message indicates that nqc isn't getting any response at all
from the IR tower.  This generally indicates a problem with the serial
port or cable.  The near/far setting on the tower, or problems with the
RCX wouldn't result in this error.

You could try another serial port.  For example, hook the tower up to
COM2, then use the following command:

nqc -SCOM2 -d test.nqc

There's a green LED inside the IR tower that's visible from the front.
Does this light up when you run nqc?  If so, then the problem is most
likely cable related (and on the Rx side of things).  If not, then its
either the Tx side of the cable or some incompatability between nqc and
the serial port driver.

Using the verbose option (-v) may shed some more light on the problem:

nqc -v -d test.nqc

It will dump all Tx/Rx traffic to the console.  I'm guessing that you'll
see no Rx data at all in the verbose listing.

You can try debugging things without nqc at all.  Use a terminal program
and set it for 2400bps, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, odd parity, no
handshaking.  Also disable local echo.  With the tower disconnected,
typing in the terminal should result in nothing displayed (if you see
characters displayed then local echo is still on).  Now hook up the tower
and try typing.  Most of the characters should be echoed back correctly.
If not, then there's a definite problem with the cable and/or tower.

Dave

In article <14370.20647.950944.155646@olive.newcastle.edu.au>, Carsten