 Robotics / 7889
Re: Rack and Pinion Steering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 23:08:59 GMT

Thanks for the tip! I do believe that will work. I'll let you know!

--Doug Wilcox
-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Munafo <munafo@gcctechNO.SPAMcom>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 03, 1999 3:43 PM
Subject: Re: Rack and Pinion Steering

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (The WordMeister) writes:
[...] I'm working on a wheel-based 'bot that has rack-and-pinion steering,
and I've run into a snag. [...]

The goal is to [have] the steering assembly automatically recenter
(or recenter with a small push in the opposite direction from the
motor) when the turn is finished. [...]

I'm having some problems [...] if the pulleys are strong enough to
[steer] [...], they are too strong to allow the recentering to work
well [and vice versa] [...]

I think you should look at a design in which each steering wheel's pivot • axis
is NOT in the same plane as the steering wheel's axle. Specifically, each
wheel's axle should be behind its pivot axis, where "behind" is referenced • in
terms of the intended direction of motion.

A caster is a good example of such a wheel design -- it requires no special
effort to make it "point" straight ahead. As long as the thing to which the
caster is attached is being pushed forwards, the caster automatically • swivels
into alignment.

Automobiles and bicycles also implement a type of "passive centering" in • which,
when you let go of the steering wheel, the forward motion of the car pushes • the
wheels towards center. The bicycle's design relies entirely on weight • (downward
force) and is notable because the pivot axis is not vertical. Automobile
designs are much more complicated (particularly when the steering wheels • are
also drive wheels) and are probably not worth the effort.

- Robert Munafo