 Robotics / 7657
Re: IntelliMouse Ripe for Hacking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:25:41 GMT

Issac Merkle <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote:
Just wondered if anyone had seen Microsoft's newest IntelliMouse and, if • so,
if they had the same thought I did about it: this thing cries out to be
hacked. It uses a 'tiny CMOS digital camera' to see whatever surface is
beneath it and measure its own relative movement. As a result, you are
supposed to be able to mouse on any surface except glass with great

Huh, interesting. That would be cool. I'm realllly skeptical though -- • I've
seen older optical mice, and it's not just the required special mouse pad
that is annoying -- they just plain don't work very well. And according to
the CNN article, these aren't any better:

"The mice have excellent precision at moderate speeds, but when moved
quickly the mouse can freak out and the pointer moves erratically."

But yeah, if someone can get this working as a Mindstorms peripheral, it
would be very useful.

A year ago I bought a mouse on sale (Gyropoint, if I remember correctly)
which tracks your actual motion at any speed in the open air; no surface
needed (I use it with a laptop for presentations).  It has never had any
problems (much more accurate than the M$ mouse).  Such a mechanism would be
great for Mindstorms.  Anybody have a clue on how to get and use such a
gyroscopic mechanism?  I bought my mouse on a close-out price of .less than
$10, so the internal mechanism must be cheap.