 Robotics / 7556
Re: Palm Pilot Control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 19:37:17 GMT

Clint Rutkas <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:19991020043938.7751.qmail@hotmail.com...
I was considering buying a Handspring Visor (A palm Pilot clone, kinda) and
I remembered about the JavaOne Conference with the Palm Pilot controlling
the RCX with Jini.

I was wondering if this source coding was available or what sites have a
basis of the RCX/Palm control program.  Or if a better way to communicate
for the Palm instead of Jini has been written.

Thanks
Clint Rutkas
*********************************

I've written a program for my own use that uses a Palm Pilot to control my
RCX. I have an older Pilot without the IR interface. What I've done is use
the optional hotlink cable to connect the Pilot to the Lego IR tower. I had
to cut off a bit of the cable's connector to make it fit in the recessed
space of the IR tower though.

What I have is the capability to control my bot by pressing the "hard"
buttons on the pilot or tapping on the screen. It can also send messages,
start and stop tasks, check the memory and battery levels of the RCX and
monitor the sensors.

Right now it only works with a "tank" style robot for steering. I could make
it customizable for different bots if there was a lot of interest but I
don't know if many people would want the program since you have to attach
the IR tower to your Pilot. One advantage though, is that the IR tower is
quite powerful whereas I hear the Pilot's IR is pretty weak.

Before anyone asks, I don't know of a way to make it work with the Palm
III's IR port and the code is too sloppy right now for me to release the
source code.

The program wasn't too hard to write thanks to Kekoa Proudfoot's work on the
RCX rom (thanks Kekoa).  I also looked at David Baum's source code for NQC
(thanks David).

Mike Kory