 Robotics / 7471
Re: Robot navigation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:05:29 GMT

Try http://www.daimi.au.dk/~mic/speciale/RCX/

Also, for a cheap 'n' cheerful approach, go to http://www.legomindstorms.com/, click the
'Search inventions' item in the Navbar on the left, and search for Compassbot.

Cheers

JP

John Barnes wrote:

I have noticed a lot of effort being put into the most
ingenius robot platforms designed to increase the accuracy
and repeatability of navigation. While many of these designs
are a credit to the designer concerned, I can't help but wonder
if they will ever solve the inherent random friction loss
problems which end up integrating small directional erros into
large location errors.

Is anyone else working on possible techniques, like electronic
compasses to correct heading errors and echo location to
correct position errors?

I think the open loop approach will be very hard to tame with
the kind of mechanical accuracies available.

JB