 Robotics / 7216
Re: Lubricating Cylinders --YoYo lubricant?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 21:07:23 GMT

Maybe it sounds strange, but you could use the lubricant people use for
their YoYos.
As Yoyos are made of different kind of plastics (ok - there are also wooden
and metal ones)
, there should be no problems i.e.: Your cylinders will survive the
treatment..........
You can buy in a lot of toy-stores (the nice side-effect is that you get
close to the Lego-department).

Stefan

I've noticed that some of my cylinders are a bit "sticky" or sound like
they are grinding. The small cylinders and pumps have a lubricant
on them already.

On a side note, I'd be careful about what kind of oil I put into these
cylinders, since some plastics become "embrittled" over the years with
exposures to hydrocarbons. I'm going to look into plastic mold release
agents which I assume are better suited to ABS. You should be able to find
these at hobby shops.

Any chemists out there with better info than mine?

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com