 Robotics / 7177
7176  |  7178
Subject:
Rotary electrical coupling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 03:59:59 GMT

I have been working (when I should have been Working) on two things which
may be of general interest.

The first is a rotary electrical coupling, which allows you to pass 4 wires
through a rotary joint.  I built the prototype tonight, and I think it
works pretty well IMHO.  I developed this because I wanted to be able to do
a full 360 degree scan with a light sensor, without having to worry about
winding up the motor and sensor wires.  The design is probably limited to 4
wires, due to the number of grooves on the standard Technic shaft, although
you could have 8 if you didn't overload them.  This would make the thing
rather long, though.

The second is a 3 bit to 8 bit de-multiplexer, driven by the motor outputs.
I haven't worked out exactly how I am going to use this yet, but I am
thinking of using it in with "states" of motion....either you're driving,
or turning, or driving and turning, or scanning, or whatever else, etc.
The core of the thing is a 74HCT138.  I suspect it could be improved by
those more electrically inclined than I, but it works so far in breadboard.
There are a bunch of compromises in this design, like giving up speed
control, but it does allow 8 (less intelligent) outputs.

I will have pictures shortly, and I would like to share, but I am WWWeb
impaired.  I would be happy to send them to someone who would be interested
in posting them somewhere, but I would prefer not to respond to a lot of
individual requests.  I have no idea how many of you there are out there
;>)

Fun stuff...my first projects.

Jeff
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net