 Robotics / 7138
7137  |  7139
Subject:
Simple Angle Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 02:25:11 GMT

Ok, I admit the last few sensors I've posted were probably a little more
than most of you want to build.  I was working on the materials for the
Homebrew Sensors Workshop that I'll be giving at mindfest and I developed a
very simple angle sensor based only on a 50KOhm pot and a little software.
Pete Sevcik discovered that the Bourns 3310 series potentiometers make great
LEGO angle sensors. They are very small and you only need to drill out the
hole in a Technic beam a little to make a mount for the sensor.  The 16 and
40 tooth gears fit the shaft of the pot with a perfect friction fit.  The
only problem with this approach is you don't get a RAW RCX reading that is
linear with actual shaft angle.  However, this can be fixed in software and
I provide the secret code to do it.
Here is the new page:
http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/pot.htm

For RCX Input and Sensor Information Visit:
http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/lego.htm