 Robotics / 7127
7126  |  7128
Subject:
8448 Street Sensation Racing - Are you game?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:28:45 GMT

I have been heavily into the Technic stuff, but there isn't much coming out
in that venue lately so I'm looking at two of my other old time favorites,
castles and ships.  Anyone selling?

Hello Dennis;

Are you unhappy with the new 8448 Street Sensation?

Forgive the following if you already own one...  Personally, I'll be
buying more 8448's

This set is definitely one of the bright spots in the Technic theme.
I know many were turned off by the unusual body, but once you own it,
you will be convinced.

The five speed transmission purrs, and has reverse to boot.

Once you build the convertible with working top, and then convert it
to gull wing doors, you'll want two so you don't have to keep
switching back & forth.

Then you'll take the next logical step and purchase an RCX to control
the little puppies.

Here is my current development plan for the 8448.

We have a huge Wood Working & Hobby show coming up the second weekend
from now.  I hope to get to at least Stage Three by then.

10,000 Calgarians visited the show last year, so I expect a great turn
out this year.  I'm also working the RC Aircraft booth as well.

I hope to generate enough interest to get a LEGO Robotics Group formed
here and have regular meetings and competitions.

The 8448 Plan of Action
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am at Stage One of my motorization project.  Two drive motors and
one for steering controlled by wireless LEGO Remote Control

Stage Two is finding a good way to shift the gears under computer
control.

Stage Three is full autonomous control with line following capability,
IR sensor in front for collision avoidance, and smart programming so
it can find its way back to the race track after loosing its way on
tight turns.

Stage Four is really intelligent programming that learns the track,
knows to gear down and slow at tight corners.

Stage Five is racing other powered RCX controlled 8448 cars on a big
track.  The track will be a black electrical tape route on concrete
for multiple cars.

Hopefully this will work.  Has anyone tried this yet?

The course will also have cross overs for neat collisions
occasionally.  :-)

After that who know what...

BTW, speaking of Super Cars, have you ordered your 8880 Super Cars
from DYA France for an amazing $120 USD approx.

I have bought four with the intention of selling three later to help
fund this terrible addiction I now have... :-)

Unfortunately my addiction prevents me from parting with those three
8880's anytime soon.  At least I have avoided the temptation to open
them up and use the parts in the mean time...

Has anyone considered starting LA anytime soon?

Not the city (although that would be a very cool model).

I mean Lego Anonymous for us poor pathetic addicts hopelessly
intoxicated by the sweet smell of ABS.

<ICS>