 Robotics / 6733
6732  |  6734
Subject:
Analog bump-sensing LEGO robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 05:49:18 GMT

I just made a LEGO version of Tutebot, the analog bump-sensing robot
found in the book "Mobile Robots" by Joseph Jones, Bruce Seiger, and
Anita Flynn from the MIT AI Lab.  The example in the book uses
Fischer-Technik, but I think they might have made some mention of the
robot initially being made of LEGO in the first edition of the book.

http://www.mit.edu/people/xuant/ben/lego.html#tutebot

I borrowed some body design ideas from the LEGO Dacta Bumper Car -
wheels centered with two skid plates at the front and back.  A touch
sensor is hidden underneath with beams that smack into it when an object
is hit.  I used Plastruct to meld the breadboard to a blue 8x6 plate
(which is almost the perfect size), and then I can stick the breadboard
to the 9volt battery pack easily.

What the robot does:
drives forward until it hits something.
turns in place by turning one of its motors backwards for a time
specified by turning a potentiometer
drives forward again...

Its pretty cool. :)

-Ben