 Robotics / 647
Re: Direct control of IRDA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 15:45:04 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Eric Eilebrecht) writes:
I don't think you can do it.  They use different carrier frequencies, and
slightly different signal timing.  If you could get low-level control of the
infrared transciever, you might be able to do it - but I'm guessing most PC
IrDA ports are hardwired for standard IrDA.  In any case, there's no chance
of it being compatible with the Mindstorms software.

Well, I was thinking of using custom software, something that just downloads a
program to the RCX over IrDA. It seems silly having to plug an IR tower into
my notebook PC when it has a perfectly good IR transceiver on it. I guess it
needs more investigation, I've never seen an IrDA spec.

Matt