 Robotics / 6453
Re: Droid Dev. Kit, reprise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 13:02:38 GMT

Dennis Clark wrote:

  Some interesting points.  A blurb in the docs mentions upgrading your droid's
abilities and shows a "Robotics Invention System" box that says Mindstorms 1.5
- 1.5?

Well, A week or two back, when I was in Jacksonville, I had a nice
conversation with a TRU store manager. He pulled up Mindstorms on his
CRT and let me watch. Down at the bottom of the screen was a second
something listed as 'RIS' (or whatever). It showed no stock, none in the
pipeline and no date for stock (unlike the RIS [1.0] which showed
gadzooks of stock). He had no idea what it might be or when. Even then I
speculated that it might be a forthcoming upgrade to the RIS. BTW, it
also showed a list price of $199.

Which means that TRU may have an interesting situation about to happen:
How to handle existing stock when a product gets reved. Not something
they deal with every day. Mark it down ? Send it back to TLG ? Sell it
off to someone like Toy Liquidators ? I don't know, but would be sure
interested to find out.

Ray Sanders
rsanders@gate.net