 Robotics / 6332
to: Jacob on the subject of sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 16:38:07 GMT

Hi.

I do not have a web site yet. I will be creating one in the near
future as soon as I have final working versions and pictures.

For sensors in general:

The main detail is staying 100% light sensor compatible (as far as
power supply/sensing requirement are concerned) although you will
need to use RAW mode to get valid data. I'm totally against sensors
which must either be self powered or rely on other external (non RCX)
power sources.

As far as cost is concerned, I am trying to use readily obtainable
parts, and trying to stay with the less exotic ones were possible.

In the short term, I am building these devices on prototyping 0.1"
grid board. I am not planning on making PCBs unless there is really
serious interest, 'cos its expensive, unless someone out there is
in the PCB business. I consider all work done is this arena as 100%
public domain!

Other projects in the works:

I am also working on a two motor output to three motor device, to use one
channel set to forward, stop or reverse to select one of three destination
motors. This design will be expandable to three outputs driving six motors
which will be paired of course. Forward, stop reverse selecting which pair
receive the output from the other two motor channels.

I am also working an a four way self selecting input multiplexor for light
sensor type inputs, but this is a really challenging piece of low power
technology.

Regards,

JB