 Robotics / 6316
Re: Sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 13:06:14 GMT

Robert Ashford <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:003101bee514$a58adb80$0200000a@pciintl.com...
I would be interested in both sensors.
I have been working on a pyroelectric (body heat sensor) but had to put it
on hold for the time being.
Is anyone interested in a pyroelectric sensor?

Sasuraibito in Japan has developed a pyroelectric sensor.  His page is a
little hard to read, but the diagrams and photos are very good.
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis/6264/mindstorms/homebrew.html

#1 - Ultrasonic ranging sensor electrically compatible with the light • sensor
#2 - Electronic compass (this is very hard within the light sensor's
power budget)

Both of these are hard with the available power at the sensor plug.  I think
I've read that the Poloroid Ultrasonic range sensor has peak current
requirements of over an Amp.  However, it has an operating range that is
longer than you really need for Mindstorms robots.  I wonder if the sound
generator in the RCX could produce enough sound to be used for this type of
thing.  Kinda like the way people have used the IR transmitter to make a IR
prox sensor.

BTW. Dennis Clark developed a self contained  Infrared range sensor.
http://www.verinet.com/~dlc/projects/botproj.htm

Mike G.