 Robotics / 6178
RE: Gripper and lift arm with single motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 18:49:47 GMT

Greetings,
     Buy the Technic sub kit on sale now from shop@home
<mailto:shop@home>  for 25 bucks. It has a gripper arm on the front that
does exactly what you are asking. The default configuration is set up
for pneumatics but could be easily modified for 1 motor to perform the
same function (if you did not want to use the pneumatics). If you know
someone with the kit you may already have the parts needed and can use
the instructions to steal Lego's design. For what it is worth : it's a
pretty good kit for 25 bucks! I bought it when it was 50!
<<...>>

-----Original Message-----
From: David Walton
[SMTP:d.walton@ndirect.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, August 09, 1999 2:28 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Gripper and lift arm
with single motor

I hope someone can help me with this

I tried most of the weekend to try and build a
mechanism to grab an item
(49.6x28 VR wheel) and lift it using one new
type motor (the ones in the
RIS). All my attempts seem to either self
destruct or just didn't work.

Basically my designs were based upon fixing an
axle at the lift pivot point
and using a pair of bevel gears to produce
rotation to drive a gripper.

What I would like to be able to do is drive the
jaw once it is closed the
lift mechanism would engage. I just couldn't get
it right and its getting
me a bit frustrated.

NO I can't just use another motor and some touch
sensors, I need the motors
for drive adder/subtractor based tracked vehicle
and the sensor inputs for
navigation and object detection

Anybody give me any pointers to designs on the
web which actually work - I
know Ben Willamson had a design but that doesn't
give enough movement of
the gripper jaws for my project

TIA

David Walton