 Robotics / 6029
Re: Soda-can challenge: beacons, tethers, etc. (was Re: Locating your position with the help of fixed be
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 19:51:48 GMT

>Beacons are illegal, however you may use any non-active means to identify
>location.  Someone suggested painting the floor with an increasing gradient
>of darkness.

Let me re-phrase that.  The rules specifically prohibit beacons from being
used to locate the cans, however, the rules don't prohibit using beacons to
"return to base".  The rules to the challenge were originally much more
strict and perhaps too challenging for someone to do with a mindstorms unit
in his spare time.  If all you need is a beacon to get your bot to return
to the starting position then go for it.

Joel Shafer    joel@connect.net