 Robotics / 6005
  RE: Don't use Lithium-Ion batteries

Someone sent me an e-mail reply saying that they had used an external Lithium Ion battery pack to power their RCX, and that after a few days of use the RCX appeared to stop working, then they discovered that it only worked with internal batteries. (...) (25 years ago, 3-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Don't use Lithium-Ion batteries

From: Issac Merkle <the_gaff@hotmail.com> (...) Note that both NiMH and Li-Ion can put out much higher currents then alkaline cells (alkaline cells have a high internal resistance). Could this person have shorted across the output somehow? That (...) (25 years ago, 3-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: Don't use Lithium-Ion batteries

Please note that in this particular case, the RCX is reported to still work with the internal batteries. That means the fault is somewhere in the path from the external connector to the main power "bus" within the RCX. Some component that is only (...) (25 years ago, 3-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Lithium-Ion batteries are innocent!

(...) I think you will find that the bridge rectifier is in the internal battery circuit also, as the type of power socket used normally has only a single pole normally closed switch to disconnect the battery. I would suspect either the power (...) (25 years ago, 4-Aug-99, to lugnet.robotics)