 Robotics / 6008
RE: Don't use Lithium-Ion batteries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 21:22:36 GMT

Please note that in this particular case, the RCX is reported to still work
with the internal batteries. That means the fault is somewhere in the path
from the external connector to the main power "bus" within the RCX. Some
component that is only used with the external power supply is probably
damaged.  I suspect that there isn't much more than the connector and a
bridge rectifier that falls into this category. So either the bridge
rectifier got burned out by an overcurrent situation, or quite simply, the
connector doesn't work anymore. Maybe a piece broke off in the connector, or
there's a bad solder joint on the circuit board.

Tilman

From: Issac Merkle <the_gaff@hotmail.com>
The more I think about it, it may be a NiMH pack, rather than • Li-Ion. I'll
have to check.

Note that both NiMH and Li-Ion can put out much higher currents then
alkaline cells (alkaline cells have a high internal resistance).
Could this
person have shorted across the output somehow?  That would
probably blow the
motor controller because it would run more current through the controller
then the controller could deal with.