 Robotics / 583
582  |  584
Subject:
RCX software / design sharing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 16:56:19 GMT

Time for a question that has probably already been answered (just not
all at once ;-)

I have been playing with my Mindstorms for about a week now and am
growing impatient with the RCX software that ships with the unit.  I
know there are many things out there, Mind Control, RoboLab (from TLG?),
NQCC, etc.  What I would like to know is:

1) What are the benefits of these (can they work the RCX via the IR link
or must you download, are they "real programming languages", etc.)?

2) Are there any other alternative to these?

From what I can tell there is a great deal of Mindstorms activity out
there, but it is difficult to keep up with all of it.  While I want to
make my RCX dance and sing (well dance anyway ;-) I just don't have the
kind of time required to learn ever piece of software out there to
determine what's best.  A head start would be appreciated.

On another note, I have found several sites with basic/advanced Lego
building information.  One thing almost every site lacks is some way of
communicating designs to allow easier recreation.  The only tool I have
found for doing this is LDraw/LEdit which are a little on the difficult
side to work freely with.  It would be great if we had a way to create
and share basic robot building components.  I know everyone out there
has build the classic, "the sensor went off, but the robot broke apart
on impact" model.  It would be nice to share new sensor designs that
absorb impact, etc.  Any ideas on what program(s) to use to communicate
designs? Any ideas on the form for this communication (a web site or
maybe a companion to this mailing list for these "design binaries"?

You thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

Take care,
KJohn