 Robotics / 5691
RE: new robotag movies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 07:14:31 GMT

Actually, I stand corrected. And it has been fixed, in Outlook 2000. (My
fault for replying to email while on antihistamines). OL 2000 terminates the
URL as soon as it hits an invalid character. However, it does not recognize
the URL: as part of a URL either. Interesting. In fact, the URL causes
Outlook to not recognize it as a url at all. Hmm, perhaps more bug, and too
much faith in MS.

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com]On Behalf
Of Todd Lehman
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 1999 9:00 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: new robotag movies

[crossposted to and followups set to lugnet.publish]

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Michael Scharff) writes:
Actually that is not a bug. It defies logic to think it IS a bug. The AI
that recognizes a URL in Outlook and Outlook Express looks for certain
things, like the URL:  and HTTP: designators with text immediately • following
(this means no space). It "terminates" the URL encoding when it reaches • the
first space. This is standard programming methodology for string parsing.
How is the AI supposed to know, without using spaces, that anything you
typed was not part of the URL? just hit a space before the close > and
voila, a TRUE url.

Yikes!  I can't believe what I'm reading.  Michael -- you're saying that
Outlook's "AI" believes that the greater-than character is a valid part of a
URL?!?  (God help us all if it's true!)

As usual, MattM is quite correct; you are suffering from a nasty bug in
MSOE.  (Don't worry, it won't be the worst one you'll encounter, by any
means.)

Greater-than signs are not valid in URLs unless they're escaped using %2E
(and perhaps also &gt;).  Not convinced?  Go check w3.org and the HTTP RFC's
yourself.  ">" is explicitly listed as "unsafe" in the BNF for URLs and URIs
and excluded from "national" and therefore "uchar" in the BNF.

I'd echo Matt's suggestion of reporting the bug too, except that I think
your complaints would simply fall upon deaf ears.  If Microshaft hasn't
fixed that nefarious and obvious of a bug by now, they're probably not ever
going to.  Heck, maybe they even put the bug in on purpose just to make
everyone's lives a bit more miserable as part of their 98% compatibility
strikes against the rest of the industry.

I'd better stop now before I go into *real* anti-MS convusions.  :-)

--Todd