 Robotics / 5673
Re: The fiber optic motor as an output device
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 07:58:01 GMT

snip

A more sophisticated use, and the core part of my idea, is to couple the • fiber
optic rotor to a true rotation sensor and a (geared down) motor. In this • way
you get a true independent output device. Start the motor and stop it when • the
rotation sensor reads the value you want to output. Yes I know it's not a • very
"cheap" way to output a value: we need an input port, an output port and • have
to supply current to the rotor too.
The interesting point comes when we use more than one fiber optic rotors: • we
don't have to use a rotation sensor and a motor for each one, but just need • to
couple the second rotor to the first one with a 1 to 8 ratio. After the • first
rotor passes the value 7 it resets to 0 and the secondary rotor increases • by
one.

This is indeed a very interesting point to it!  :)

I don't have a fiber optic rotor now in my hands, and don't remember if it • has
a dark area between one position and its next one. This could be a problem, • I
mean in this case we need a more complicated connection between the rotors,
like the wheels used in the mechanical calculators.

And I think this is indeed why your interesting idea won't be very
practical.. :(

Eric Brok
--------
Visit LEGO ON MY MIND: